Thursday, September 1, 2016

5 Tips for Surviving the Brewhaus Oktoberfest

Oktoberfest is fast approaching, and if you’ve been with us in years past, you know that we take the gemutlicheit very seriously. The beer flows from morning until night, a live polka band plays on our patio and everywhere -- I mean everywhere -- you look, our guests are celebrating. Lederhosen, dirndls, those beer-drinking hats and steins from all over are just a few of the things you’ll see at our party. We also offer up traditional German fare to help everybody power through this boozy bash.

When I went to WhiskeyFest in Chicago, I did my homework first. Of course I studied the vendors that would be there, and the styles they’d be bringing. More importantly, I also asked everybody I knew professionally how to stay sober at a marathon drinking event. Then, for good measure, I studied the Russians. Here are a few tips to help keep you from being “that guy” at the party.

  1. Get a good night’s sleep before the party, and be mindful of your nutrition in the days leading up to Oktoberfest.
  2. When you get to the Brewhaus, put down a base layer of fat in your stomach. I learned this one from the Russians, and can endorse it as helpful. Eating something fatty will slow the rate at which your body absorbs alcohol. The Russians recommend drinking a raw egg, which I do not recommend, but perhaps a serving of cheese curds, or french fries with cheese sauce would be a good place to start.
  3. Hydrate. I can’t say this one enough. Feather in a glass of water every couple of drinks, especially once you get a few beers in and all you want is more beer.
  4. Move your body. Circulating at a party is a good way to monitor your motor skills, and fresh air is a great friend to have.
  5. Keep eating. This is the best way I know to stay on top of your buzz.

Here’s a little more free advice, because I care: If you’re drinking, plan a ride home. All we want is to show you a good time and to see you again.

No comments:

Post a Comment